Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYCGirl's Story

Hi all, :new:

This is my first post here. I don't quite know what to say so the easiest thing is to tell my story. I have been really battling with my alcohol abuse for the past year (I'm 26) and read Koren Zailckas's book, Smashed, recently, which prompted me to start to come clean and accept my problem drinking, even though I admitted it to my best friend about six months ago (but no one else, even family).

I was actually a relatively "good girl" in high school and college. I've had a 4.0 since 8th grade and I just graduated with my master's and will be starting my PhD next year. I really didn't drink in college, mostly because I didn't have access to alcohol and my boyfriend in college had his best friend killed by a drunk driver. I drank moderately, but not problematically, my last year or so of college, but nothing remotely abnormal or serious.

I moved to NYC after college, which I absolutely have loved and finally feel at home here more than anywhere else I have ever been. I entered grad school at NYU and took up the typical NYC lifestyle, punctuated by happy hours, late night drinking binges in dive bars and downtown pubs, and morning after brunches. Over the past few years, my occasional binge drinking combined with the stress of my personal and professional life, and the general pressures of living in NYC and keeping up with the "drinking Joneses" has led me to live a life that involved way more alcohol than I would have liked. I feel like I literally can't see my friends except in an environment that involves alcohol, and when I do, I drink way too much to deal with my own internal stresses. When I don't have a happy hour or party to be at, I find myself coming home with several bottles of wine and a six pack of beer, often drinking a bottle or more, plus several beers and shots, in my bedroom by myself each night.

This kind of life has gotten me in more trouble than I care to remember. I've found myself in friends' basements lost because I couldn't figure out how to get to the lobby and out to a cab, passed out in the foyer of my own building only to wake up to a neighbor's dog sniffing at me at 3am, and in drunken fist fights with friends and ex-boyfriends on random street corners at all hours of the night. I miss work somewhat regularly because I'm hungover or just too exhausted to get out of bed after a night of drinking. I've called my mom in the middle of the night and made her drive into the city (from about 2 hours away in PA) because I literally had a psychotic episode while drunk and couldn't be consoled without her presence. The most recent and most disappointing episode was missing my mother's day brunch with my mom because I was too drunk after drinking jack daniel's and crying all night to get out of bed.

The past few weeks my drinking has escalated. I come home most nights and drink more than most people drink in a week. I crave alcohol constantly. It is my friend and the soother of my worries and anxieties. I know this is bad. I have a master's degree in public health and work in substance abuse research, so this area is not foreign to me. But I don't know how to extract myself from it. Or what to do at night to calm my frazzled nerves other than drink two bottles of wine and a half a bottle of some kind of booze. I am so unhappy with my life and the way I make my body feel. But at the same time, feel powerless to do anything about it. I can't imagine surviving in my group of friends (who I love so much and who are really wonderful and terrific people) without drinking being apart of our comradry. Perhaps that's the problem, that I can't see beyond that.

I don't think AA is the right place for me. I've done 12 step groups in the past for other issues and I don't think the philosophy is the right one for me. But at the same time, I feel like I need something to hold on to, and to know other people who are like me and grapple with these same things. I just feel like I need someone to unload to right now because there is really no one else for me to talk to and I feel so alone in this. I am very close to my boss....he is a wonderful man (also gay) who treats me like his little sister and has been very open with me for many years about his own issues (he is a recovering drug addict and also HIV-positive)...and am eyeing him up as the person I want to 'come out' to with my problem. Don't worry, we have a very close and unique relationship, and I trust not only his opinion, but also his ability to keep my concerns private and confidential despite our professional relationship. I know that my career would never be in any way jepordized by talking to him, which is why I have chosen him over anyone else. But I also want to just receive some feedback and support from others. Like I said, I have been to 12 step groups in the past, because of issues with a relationship way in my past and not because of my own addiction, but am still not sure that is the right place for me. Your support right now in any way would be so much appreciated.

Thank you for listening.

NYCGirl

NYCGirl's Story

:welcome: NYCGirl!! Thanks so much for sharing your story--I can't respond fully now because I can barely keep my eyes open but I just wanted to let you know that you'd been heard. This is a great site and the people here will offer you all the support/encouragement/advice etc. that you need!

I also live in the city and my story is similar to yours--academically gifted, came to NYC, hung out in chic little bars, trendy after hours places and slowly my life became a nightmare of weird and destructive experiences that sound very much like yours.....that was 25 years ago.

You will find a lot of people on this site who can relate to your story and who you will be able to identify with...people from all over the world, which I always find very moving...

My suggestion at the moment to keep reading and also post on some of the other boards (e.g., General Discussion, Newcomers...) as well--sometimes those get seen more...

Congratulations--this is a terrific, site with tons of supportive people..glad you're here!

susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Susan,

Thank you so much! You don't know how much I needed to hear that tonight because I feel so alone with this problem right now. i am so grateful for your kind words.

Love,
      NYCGirl

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hey NYC girl,

I was a NYC girl a long time ago. And I was exactly your age when I decided I had a drinking problem. I think the moment I "knew" was the morning I woke up with a deep gash in my heel and blood all over my sheets, knowing I had taken the subway from a very remote area in Brooklyn (back in the 80s) where an artist friend lived, all the way to Queens, with no memory of the trip, and no memory of falling and cutting myself. This was not my first drunken subway expedition (I used to call friends from the phones in the tunnels - they probably don't exist now) but it was the most scary.

So here I am more than 20 years later, finally trying to get a handle on my drinking problem. I am so glad you are doing it now. I have wasted a lot of time and life in between and you don't have to!

Read the book, try the supps, keep posting and reading posts. You are far from alone. I hope you will find strength here.

:welcome:

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYC,

I like your avatar. You are morphing into who you want to be. I hope I can morph too! If you have not already, please spend some time in the Research secion on this site. There is a lot of good information there and will leave you feeling hopeful. I particularly like the emphasis on nutrition and exercise.

Be well. Be happy.

And a big welcome!

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Thanks, lucky and ducky! (I like how that rhymes!).

Yes, I feel very fortunate to be able to notice this now. I work in the substance abuse research field, mostly doing behavioral studies of drug users, and so I "know" what to look for in myself and notice the unhealthy patterns developing. I feel fortunate that from a professional standpoint I have the knowledge to know I need to change, to go along with just my own personal feelings that this isn't doing anything positive for my life. Sadly, what I also know from my work is that knowledge alone doesn't lead to change, so I need to figure out other ways to cope with what's making me do these unhealthy things to myself. I know that I have too many gifts to share with the world to stifle them with wine and vodka.

I'm going to be doing more research and such today and this week. How did you all start out? I literally feel like I need to go away for like a week to a spa and meditate and drink fruit juice and cleanse all this crap out of my body (haha, sadly, that's not within my meager budget!). But I really feel like I need a change of pace and scenery to kick start my change in behavior. I'm just curious what others experiences have been. Guess I should read the book and the rest of the site, as I'm sure there are plenty of suggestions there.

NYCGirl

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Wow--we really DO have a lot in common--I also worked in the substance abuse field--as a rehab counselor! I got my MS in counseling when I got sober the first time, 21 years ago. I was a counselor for about 8 years, got burned out, went back to corporate life and, you guessed it, started drinking again....

I also knew better--but denial is an amazingly effective mechanism.... Even while I acknowledged that I was probably in denial (thereby proving to myself that I wasn't!), I was still using denial to think that somehow this didn't really apply in my case.... It's truly mind-boggling. For the next 10 years I "knew better" all the while my drinking escalated. I wasn't behaving in the outrageous way I had when I was younger but in some ways it was even more insidious. I drank fairly moderately while out, more at home with my partner and even more in secret. It was partly the lying and the secrecy that got to me...not to mention the despair, the hopelessness, the bloating, the poor health and the general feeling that my life was effectively over.

Have you ever watched the TV program "Intervention"? I highly recommend it (Fridays, at 10p, sometimes also at 9p--on A&E). I began to imagine a camera following me around as I went about my normal day of drinking and drugging--and it was at that point that my denial rapidly crumbled. Once I could see myself from the outside, it was over. I heard myself making the same excuses that I heard on a weekly basis on "Intervention"--I really and truly was not different! Not special--just another common garden variety alcoholic.

Just a couple of things before I have to log off...I think you would be surprised at how many people at these functions actually don't drink. Nobody really cares who's drinking--it's really not as big a deal as you might think--especially in NYC where lots of folks are trying to deal with their addictions--or just don't drink for any number of reasons. The self-consciousness is mostly on our part because we THINK everyone is paying attention to what we're doing. Believe me, most people are too wrapped up in their own sh*t to care!

And your friends: the ones you want to hang on to will still be there whether you drink or not--only the ones you don't really need will still be there if you keep acting out the way you've described though! The ones who really care about you will start to worry, wonder how to help you and maybe even decide that it's not worth the drama no matter how much they care about you. I know this is harsh, but it's worth thinking about. I lost more "good" friends through my behavior than I did by not drinking! And don't forget all those fabulous new people you will meet who don't know you as a drunk--there are tons of people who just drink moderately or not at all who won't give the fact that you don't drink a second thought....

I hope this makes sense--and sorry if it's too much at the moment.

The other thing--have you checked out the website, www.jacsweb.org? I really believe that spirituality is an important component of our return to the life we have been given and you've mentioned how important your faith is to you. My biggest interest at the moment is how to educate clergy--of all faith traditions--about the problems of substance abuse in their congregations and how to deal with them. I just graduated from a very liberal and progressive seminary and a Jewish colleague of mine pointed me in the direction of that organization as a resource.

Keep on reading and posting--this is really an exciting new journey that you've started on....challenging and so, so worth it!

Choose life!

susan
              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Dear NYC Girl. You will find TONS of support with this website from people who are Non Judgemental and who are compassionate and understanding. We are all in the same boat together, and we all have found this website for a reason. This site and the people on it have helped me tremendously. For example, when I posted about my panic attacks that I get (HORRIBLE ONES) I was shocked to realize that many other had them too! For years I thought I was freaking crazy! One woman described exactly how my panic attacks feel. It was such a relief to finally found some people who understood how I felt!

Keep reading and posting, it will help you in your quest for a better life for yourself. You are a young girl who has a incredible future for yourself. Please let yourself get the help and support that you feel you need.
                I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

dear NYC girl I also live and work in New York City and since I moved here 10 years ago I developed an awful drinking habit that I am now battling.
                  As you say New York is very stressful and it's always a struggle to keep ones head above water.
                  I think you are doing the right thing. visiting here is really helpful. everyone is so supportive without negative judgement.
                  life is rough in this city but we don't need to abuse ourselves to survive.
                  thnik clear and healthy.
                  much luck
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hello NYC girl!

I too am a newbie who was once in a similar situation to yourself, but in London where I was a DJ, model and club promoter- heavy drinking (and drug taking) was normal behaviour but as I approached my mid thirties and wanted to calm down I decided to move to the countryside- I got married, had a child, but that wildness was still in me! Following divorce, bancruptcy and homelessness (I worked for my husband and came out with nothing) I now have a cute littlle council house, a job, car, true friends (who aren't pissheads unlike my London friends!), a gorgeous baby daughter(her dad left when I was pregnant). I'm in a much better situation- so why do I still drink at least a bottle of wine a day at least then feel guilty? I too have a gay friend at work who I may 'come out to', you are lucky to have such a supportive boss, make the most of it! I wish you all the best- this seems like a good site so let's support eachother!:new: :welcome:

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYC girl & welcome .....

WOW so many of you from new york!!! My hubby is bringing me there from the UK next february so I might just come visit LOL ....

Anyway, you certainly have found the right place here, everyone is sooo suppportive. You reminded of me, last year, when you said that you drink to calm your fragile nerves, you wont realise it yet, but the drink actually CAUSES the fragile nerves.

For me, cutting down gradually was the best way, that way I never felt deprived...

All the best and I look forward to seeing you around.

Love & Hugs, BB xx
                      sigpicXXX

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYG

:welcome: You have come to the right place.. The support you get here is amazing, glad you are here.

Kali

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi NYC, welcome. So glad you found us, looking forward to getting to know you. Thanks for sharing your story, I really admire that in people, you are soooo not alone. Welcome again.

L
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

hi a nyc girl, please excuse the aatar, bad day , im changing it bk later, when i pick a good 1, its makin me eyes go,! bear wiv me, our stories r very very different i started at 17 a waitress with a baby living with a drunk, i was noangel untill i was pregnant, i began my debauchery at 13 if thats the right word, im still a waitress with a nearly 10 yr old , an still a waitress in the same place drinking like a fish i stopped 4 2 yrs 1st 2 of my childs life, poor kid, im with a non violent partner now 3yrs JUST , i have finally realised that man i need help, nthis is an excellent site, i have never flt so accepted and understood in my life, family an friends have no clue how 2 cope wiv me my nick name is trouble, says it all ey, but in a week of getting things out to the people on this site has give me the courage , support an genuine understanding, enough so that im finally gonna face it an got appointment at drs, read all u can on this site an post, an b honest, it really helps, read the posts a few times an really think about what they say, there r some very wise people on this site i am just learning, so listen to the others they r good people x
                            :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Working...
                            X