DRY by Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently told a friend of mine Id quit drinking, without going into detail i just said I wasnt happy with the amount I had been drinking. She then told me she was reading this book called "DRY" which had really made her look at her own drinking. Her flatmate who had passed the book on to her had already cut down on his drinking triggered by the book.
    It arrived from her yesterday in the post and i have to say I havent been able to put it down.
    Its the memoirs of a drinker going through rehab and there is so much of the story that could have come straight out my own diary. I really recommend this as a book we can relate to as well as being a great page turner.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Read this book last summer in the first few months of my sobriety. It was excellent. This was one of many books I read to try to understand where I fit in with this disease and how to fight it.
    Good choice.

Winefree
    AF 5/2/09

Comment

Chill,
      My library didn't have it in and there's a long wait to get my hands on it, so I've ordered it from Amazon and there's a two week delay for delivery.
      I have this image of MWOers frantically ordering the book all over the world.
      I'm really looking forward to reading it.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

OK. I just ordered it used through Amazon. 23 cents for the book and $3.99 for shipping. :H

Seriously, with all of your reviews I feel the need to read this! Thanks for sharing your comments about this book.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have to say I found Susan Powter's book "Sober and Staying That Way" more inspiring as well as "Drinking a Love Story."

Dry was ok but it was more about relationships and how we can treat others badly with our drinking than the recovery process. The other books make a person really evaluate why they drink and why most should quit whereas Dry just made you feel bad for the author of being such a bad drunk and bad friend to some people who really loved him. It's a good enough read but not for someone really struggling with recovery. PM me to discuss details if you really think you need it but I suggest the library and picking up the other two books I mentioned.

Hugs,
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Eve. I haven't read Sober and Staying that Way, will look for that one.

Winefree

Comment

I loved dry, the humour really appealed to me xx
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
              X