Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Book Changed My Life

Unwasted;1327670 wrote: Hi Lilly,

Glad you bought the books. I've also read Unwasted, and yes, it wa the inspiration for my screen name here. I've found that reading books by people who had a problem with drinking and are now sober helps me immeasureably. Between that and MWO, I've been sober for almost 7 months now. I went to AA a few times, but eventually stopped. It just wasn't "me" but I found it helpful for a short time.

Good luck with the books. The Vale book isn't necessarily a cure all, but it did help me change my thinking and stop glamorizing alcohol. I finally saw it for what it is after reading the book.

xx,
    UN
    Hi Unwasted!

My resistance initially to reading the Vale book came from the fact that I found the Carr Quit Drinking book - which a lot of people here seemed to say was very similar - not very helpful, even though Carr's smoking book really helped me quit smoking. I think for me it just felt like too much of a rehash of the smoking book with 'cigarettes' replaced with 'alcohol'.

While it's true that the Vale book has a lot that is similar in terms of content and tone there is something about the things he's saying, and how he says it, that is really resonating with me in a way Carr's book didn't. I think maybe I'm just particularly receptive to his line of thinking at the moment because I've been working on changing my attitude to drinking in a lot of the ways he talks about, so it's a great reinforcement. I gobbled through almost half of it in a night

I also love reading books about people who's found happy sobriety and books about recovery in general and find it very helpful. I also was very moved by Caroline Knapp's 'Drinking a Love Story'. Your posts have helped me so much too, so if there are any other books you've found really useful I'd love to hear about them.

AA doesn't sit well with me either for a lot of reasons but I am contemplating going if only to meet some people IRL dealing with similar struggles. That alone could be worth it though I really can't see myself buying into the whole 12-Step thing for a number of reasons. I think that's fine too though. It's fabulous it works for so many people but it's not necessarily for everyone. I also think it's hugely problematic that it's the ONE solution that's almost universally proposed to people with drinking problems. There needs to be more than a one-size-fits-all model so I'm glad to see some other organisations springing up though here at least they still seem fairly limited.

Comment

Lilly,

Interestingly, I too had read Carr's book before Vale's. The parallels were unmistakable, but to me Vale's was a much more relevant and modern version so I could relate on a different level. The books were so strikingly similar I decided to research to see if there was a connection. Vale in fact had been a student of Carr's. This is purely speculation, but I think Carr's family would have to have given permission to Vale for him not to have been in danger of plagiarism -- no way of knowing that. Regardless, Vale's book had a much bigger impact on me than Carr's so I'm exceedingly grateful that he wrote it!

A few other books you might want to read:

Moment of Clarity - Christopher Lawford
      The Lost Years - Kristina Wandzilak
      Dry
      - Augusten Burroughs
      The Interventionist
      - Joanie Gammill

If I think of more, I'll post them -- would have to get in my attic and pull down my "alkie reading" box. LOL

I also like reading about holistic health. I do that mostly just by researching on the internet. I focus on good food, juicing, etc. and get tremendous satisfaction in knowing I'm caring for my body rather than working to harm it.

Comment

Yes, I had read that there was a connection between Vale and Carr too. And yes, surely he would totally have been accused of plagiarism if there wasn't some sort of agreement in place as some passages are virtually verbatim. But I agree, the Vale book goes a step further and is somehow much more relatable. I suspect this may be because Carr didn't really have a serious drinking problem but just transferred the same logic across, whereas Vale obviously had first-hand experience.

Thanks for the recommends! I haven't read any of those besides Dry so will check them out. I can't seem to get enough of the Alkie literature at the moment I also have mine hidden away though - what does that say?

Others that have really helped me are 'Drinking a Love Story', 'Sober for Good', 'Beat the Booze' and 'Beyond the Influence'.

I am also increasingly getting into reading about holistic health and nutrition so any thoughts there also welcome. Currently I've been reading about Low GI mainly and also the ways that you can help repair some of the damage done by drinking through good nutrition and supplements. Potatoes Not Prozac is on my to-read list at the moment too.

Comment

Lilly, you're probably right about Vale's first hand knowledge as compared to Carr's. I think Carr's history was related to smoking rather than drinking and then he just used the same principle, i.e. you're not giving up anything by not drinking or smoking - you're gaining everything!

Thanks for the book recs. I've read Knapp's book (my namesake and Sober for Good). Will check out the others.

Really hoping you can win this battle. You won't believe how much better your life will be if you can stick it out.

xx,
          UN

Comment

MollyKA just recommended Breaking Addiction: A 7-Step Handbook for Ending Any Addiction by Lance Dodes. I've heard others on here mention it too. Pissed me off that it cost more for the Kindle version than the actual paper book, but I downloaded it and just started reading it.

Comment

Thanks Fly

Comment

Reading Jason Vale now, chose my quit day and very hopeful it will lead me to a life of serenity.
                new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

IMT, I drank at some point after reading Vale's book. It wasn't a cure-all for me. But when I finally did quit, what I learned from the book was part of what helped me stay sober. I found it took a lot of work, avoiding people and places that triggered me, reading other books, and trying to understand the big picture of why I drank. I changed my life in a pretty big way in order to stay sober.

Comment

I drank after reading Vale's book too, but not for a couple months. Even after I drank I still thought about what he'd written and do to this day. It definitely created a shift in the way I think about alcohol and gave me more tools to work with. It's the book I recommend the most.

Comment

Unwasted.
                      I just found this post. Ive been all over MWO forum telling everyone to read this book.
                      I feel like Ive finally found the truth about alcohol.
                      I too read earlier Alan Carrs book, and still recommend it, but having just found Jason book, it just reinforces what Carr wrote.
                      I wish everyone on MWO would read this, especially those who still want to be a "Normal" drinker.
                      Just shows how powerful this stuff is.
                      I too take interest in personal stories of this who have escaped the trap.

Thanks for the post

Bicyclesurfer

Comment

Working...
                      X