Any books for kids/teens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 12 year old stepdaughter has experimented with alcohol, and got suspended from school last year because of drinking in school. This year she got caught shoplifting in Wal Mart. She is with us on the week ends. I am looking for books for her age group that she can relate to. Anything that is written just for her age group? Alcohol, drugs, sex, etc. Not to take the place of our parenting but to reinforce it? I wish Jason Vale would tweak his book and write a Pre-version for kids so they never start drinking.

I know this isn't a parenting site, but many of us have kids, this stuff has to come up right?
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Hi Nursie, sorry I haven't got any books to tell you about. There is bound to be a movie that relates to the subject, maybe about making it through all the odds. I think a film may be a gentler way of getting the message across. Would she actually read the book, or throw it to one side in rebellion? At least with a movie, it could be watched as a family without singling her out.
    I say bring back The Waltons! Haha, we loved it as kids.
    She may have insecurities and anger over the fact that her parents aren't together or maybe not really listening - I know my son was a very angry teenager. There really must be an underlying issue that no-one has noticed. Children are born good and normally any change in that is down to situations, people and conditions that have affected their lives.....hope it works out; it's great that you are looking out for her.
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Thanks Daisy,
      Her parents divorced when she was 4 and we have been together since she was five. But yeah, she sure is an angry kid. She does like to read though and gets good grades.
      And yes, I love the waltons! We watch them on the GMC channel and she thinks it's corny lol.
      Day 1 again 11/5/19
      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
      X