American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally read this book after constant prodding by a friend and huge Gaiman fan. The story sets up nicely. After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the days, then the hours, then the minutes until his release tick away, he can sense something is about to go very wrong indeed. Two days before he is due to get out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, apparently in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow makes his way back home only to encounter en route the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.

Together they embark on a strange journey across the heart of the America, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small town and meeting a cast of weirdly familiar characters flung together by the shared sense of impending doom. All around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break. And Shadow is being pursued doggedly by someone with whom he must somehow make his peace.

Scary shit folks!
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Techie - thanks for this! I've been looking for Xmas reading and this sounds right up my alley!! I went to a talk/reading by Neil Gaiman when he was in NZ last year and became an instant convert!!
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I really enjoyed American Gods Missy. Ordering more Gaiman from Amazon!
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Neil Gaiman from Simpsons episode....

Comment

Working...
        X