Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol: Allen Carr: 9780572028503: Amazon.com: Books

Please update on your thoughts on the book. Heard so many people recommend it.
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

The title the Easyway to Control Alcohol is the same book with the same message as the Easyway to Stop Drinking.
      I for one will be eternally grateful for the title choice "Easyway to Control Alcohol." I was a million miles away from wanting to stop drinking when I read that book. There was no way I would have read a book with "Stop Drinking" in the title. To do that you would have to first admit you had a problem. I was just curious and thought - what the heck I could probably do with cutting back a little ... so I read it and something amazing happened, by the time I got to the end my outlook on alcohol had been completely reversed. Strangely enough I was elated at the thought of never needing to drink again. I had my last drink over four years ago when I finished the book and I remember it vividly. It tasted disgusting. In the beginning i thought the thrill of not drinking might eventually wear off in time, but it doesn't. I am probably more excited today than ever before to live a life totally free from the need or desire for alcohol.
      This book is an incredible gift to anyone brave enough to actually read it.

Comment

Not sure the book addresses the issues I need but will continue reading.

Comment

I've recently read that 'Kick The Drink' addresses more what I'm after - dealing with the 'enjoyment' of drinking. I'll read that one and get back to you.

Comment

Hi Change

I'm about two-thirds the way through the Easy Way to Stop Drinking (having a hard time finishing it).

My interpretation is that he's saying having a drink after a period of abstinence is not pleasurable in itself, it just stops the miserable feeling that the lack of alcohol brings. It stops the withdrawal, but you would not get the good feeling if you weren't addicted. (And remember that he says that everyone who drinks is addicted, just to different degrees. ) The 'pleasure' is actually not pleasure at all but removal of discomfort. And then, after the discomfort is removed, the addiction takes over again.

This is just my interpretation, and I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but this part does strike true with me, to a degree.
            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you manage to get through the book. He makes some good points.

Comment

Working...
              X