No announcement yet.

LilBit vs. the Big C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of you today as you go through the surgery. We are all here for you, Lil. :hug:

Comment

'Awoke today, following yesterday's lumpectomy feeling great. Yes, my throat is sore from the oxy-tube and yes, my chest is bound like a Gwyneth Paltrow boy impersonator in a Shakespeare film but I am SO relieved to have "Larry the Lump" gone -- banished to his icy lab dish and out of my breast. He's probably sitting there, complaining and asking for a stiff drink but that's no longer my care. Here's hoping he didn't have any cousins that are still hanging around (TBD in ~5 days).

Meanwhile, I am actually surprised at how relieved and wonderful I feel, even in the midst of the uncertainty. I've always wanted to learn mindfulness, i.e., living in the moment and now this is the perfect opportunity. Think about it.

You can't live in the future. You can't alter it or even experience it. There's absolutely nothing you can do with it, in practical terms.

Now, you can live in the past, which a lot of people do, but what's the point? You can't change the past either. You can re-experience it through memories but, unless they're good ones (and it's your choice which mental Netflix movie you play) you can't actually change the past, either, flux capacitors notwithstanding. AND -- by ruminating the past's chewy cud, you're actually still experiencing the present but you're doing so by sitting there replaying memories, which is both a cheat and a paltry substitute for what you could do.

So, what's the alternative? We can enjoy life more by learning to continuously take in more of what's happening right now. Smell the freshly brewed coffee. Listen to the comforting and slightly weird sound of the dog snoring. Feel the cool morning air on your skin. Soak in the golden morning sunlight. Breathe in the cat litter aroma. No, don't do that. That's very bad. But do the rest!

An amazing part of AL recovery is realizing that your senses are no longer dulled. It's a gift I intend to relish, and I wish the same for you.
      "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Your sound amazing (funny) and that makes my heart happy! I don't recall... how far are you into your quit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger999 View Post
          Your sound amazing (funny) and that makes my heart happy! I don't recall... how far are you into your quit?
          Lilbit is one of those people here who seems so "with it" - smart, funny, cool, optimistic - it's hard to believe she ever had an addiction problem, much less a recent one! She's proof that a person can have a great sober life - even when bad stuff happens.

Thanks for sharing yourself with us, lil. xx, NS

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger999 View Post
            Thanks, Ginger and NS! I am about 2 1/2 months into my quit, or I should say "my start." After 1-2 decades of varying degrees of drinking, I felt the quit coming on for a long time, but wanted to make sure that I was really prepared to stay the course. Now, there is no doubt. Nor is there any doubt about the timing of "miraculously" having quit AL for 2 months when I got my diagnosis. There are no accidents. I absolutely, positively would have been a basket case if this had happened when I was drinking. Now, I am physically, emotionally and spiritually strong enough to handle it. I thank God for this. I really do.
            Last edited by LilBit; May 16, 2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!! 'Just heard from my doctor, and last Friday's lumpectomy was a total success. We caught it early enough, got all of the tumor with "clean margins," and the cancer hadn't spread to my lymph nodes or anywhere else. That means no more surgery and probably no chemo (just a round of radiation).

This was the best possible outcome, and I am relieved beyond belief. I am also grateful and forever changed. More about that later. For now, let's jump up and down, shall we???

its me.jpg

Comment

:yay::yay:So haapy to hear the news!!!! B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

LilBit, YAY YOU!!!! *does happy Snoopy Dance*
                  I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
                  AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Hurray!!!!! Good to hear.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

That made my horrible day so much better!! So happy for you!

Comment

That is the BEST news EVER!! Yay yay yay

Comment

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
                          Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
                          O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
                          He chortled in his joy.

Comment

Very good news - thank you for sharing!
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Hooray for Lil B! I am so relieved. Congratulations.

xo

Comment

Excellent news Lil - I'm a lumberjack and im okay!
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X